Saturday, September 22, 2007

Organic Dog Food, Part I

What finally put me over the edge was the realization that Skeeter was almost 3 and was STILL peeing on the kitchen floor. And after much research on coprophagia, I discovered that Bailey's desire to eat Skeeter's or her own feces, was unhealthy for an adult dog to be doing (apparently, only puppies get away with this). Believe me, I was very close to losing my temper with them both.

However, in my reading about coprophagia, which may have to do with a nutrient-deprived diet, I came across another behavioral problem with dogs who aren't getting enough nutrients in their food: excessive urination due to drinking a lot of water. I couldn't believe it. Here are my two babies eating feces and drinking water to fill their bellies because we can't spend a little more for quality food. It broke my heart.


I immediately began the transition from Pedigree - a low-grade, corn-based filler food (which was clearly going right through them) to Blue Buffalo - a high-end, protein-rich food that I could probably eat. Of course I remembered to gradually mix in the new food with the old, and of course I don't give them as much of the new food, since it is so rich. Now, wouldn't that be a nightmare for their digestion tracts - that'd be like switching from Fritos to Caviar!

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the results.

2 comments:

MotherGoose said...

Maybe we could apply this same theory to the typical american diet!

Sylvia B. said...

What a very good Mum you are to be thoroughly invested in the health and well-being of your gorgeous doggies. If I ever get a dog, meaning if the guilt that I abandoned Rosey ever lessens or goes away, I'll have lots of questions for you. You'd be Aunt Judy of course.